Plant City eye doctor

Plant City Eye Doctor

Posted by

Macular degeneration in Plant City

The most common reason for vision loss from age 60 and up is age-related macular degeneration. However, it can develop anytime after 40, which is why we at Strong Vision Center recommend a yearly screening. As with other common eye diseases, there are no early warning symptoms, so it is crucial to get tested annually, leading to prompt diagnosis and treatment.

There are two type of age-related macular degeneration, or simply AMD. About 10% of them are referred to as wet, with the remaining 90% being dry. With wet AMD, abnormal blood vessels grow beneath the macula, which is located at the center of your retina. Dry AMD is marked by drusen, deposits of a yellowish color that form inside the macula. They grow in size and quantity, resulting in diminished or distorted vision and loss of central vision. Other symptoms of it include blind spots within your visual field and straight lines that appear to be wavy. The appearance of any of the above signs should motivate you to be examined by our Plant City eye doctor right away, because it likely means that AMD is now in an advanced stage. Other than age, risk factors for this disease are hereditary, smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obesity. Our Plant City eye doctor will diagnosis you with the help of special tests like optical coherence tomography (OCT) and fluroscein angiography. Wet AMD is treated with laser surgery, photodynamic therapy, or eye injections, designed to slow the progress of the disease (there is no cure). There is no current effective treatment for dry AMD, but fortunately it also progresses more slowly. Management methods and devices can help you to make the most of the vision you do have.

Schedule an appointment with us to come in for an examination and screening from our Plant City eye doctor.

2128 Jim Redman Parkway
Plant City, FL 33566
(813) 502-0775